Churchville Elementary School, Council Rock School District
Additions and renovations for the existing 1950-60 era Churchville Elementary School included approximately 18,099 SF in additions as well as full HVAC, electrical and interior renovations to the existing 63,643 SF structure. Renovations and additions were largely spurred by the need to eliminate existing modular classrooms, to improve the educational program by modernizing classrooms, and to provide necessary security through a new front entry design for public and visitor access.
Alterations to the facility were completed in such a way to allow for the academic area of the school to encircle an octagon-shaped library, which serves as the centrally-located “Learning Resource” area and also includes a separate computer lab breakout space. All surrounding learning spaces were designed to support a variety of teaching arrangements to facilitate flexibility.
The newly-renovated multi-purpose cafeteria was brightened with colorful VCT patterning on the floor, a lively accent wall and a clerestory window system that brings natural daylight into the space. The existing gymnasium was converted into a separate computer lab with recessed flooring as well as a separate art classroom.
Although the District elected not to pursue LEED certification, sustainable measures employed include the use of recycled materials and Energy Star-rated equipment as well as recharging of ground water with a below-grade storm infiltration system.