Schradergroup provided public safety programming and planning consulting services to architect/engineer EwingCole for a building assessment and adaptive reuse study completed for a property acquired by The Philadelphia Industrial Development Corporation (PIDC) on behalf of the City of Philadelphia. The property, the former Provident Mutual Life Insurance Company headquarters, consists of three historic buildings totaling approximately 370,000 SF. Built between 1926 and 1928, the buildings include: the Administration Building (325,000 SF), an Auditorium Building (37,400 SF) intended to support the main building, and The Power House (11,200 SF), which serves as a central utility plant.
The goal of the building assessment and adaptive reuse study was to evaluate existing conditions and examine potential concepts for redeveloping the site to function as a Public Safety and Public Health campus for the City of Philadelphia. Proposed functions to be consolidated to the location include Police Headquarters; the Medical Examiner’s Office and Morgue; and the Department of Public Health Laboratories. The planning and programming services provided for the study contributed to a feasible reuse solution that will accommodate the present and future needs of the end users.