SCHRADERGROUP Attends 36th Annual DVASBO Trade Show
SCHRADERGROUP (SG) recently attended the Delaware Valley Association of School Board Officials (DVASBO)’s 36th Annual Trade Show on Wednesday, November 9th at the Greater Philadelphia Expo Center in Oaks, PA.
SG was proud to attend and exhibit at this conference once again. It was great to return to the trade show this year and to see so many friendly and familiar faces. SG was proud to assist in DVASBO’s mission of developing and supporting leaders in school business operations for the counties of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery.
The Trade Show was attended by Managing Partner David Schrader and Associate Devin Bradbury. The day included prize drawings, seminars, exhibitions, breakfast, and lunch.
It was great to be at a trade show again and to physically see everyone and talk to people face-to-face. We had great fun connecting with school business officials and we look forward to attending again next year!
DVASBO is a regional chapter of the Pennsylvania Association of School Business Officials (PASBO). For nearly five decades, DVASBO has been supporting school professionals in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery counties. The organization currently has over 1,000 members and is devoted to providing members with education, training, professional development, and timely access to legislative and policy news. The SG team would like to thank the DVASBO staff for organizing this trade show. To learn more about DVASBO, click here.
To learn more about SCHRADERGRPOUP’s commitment to educational facilities, click here.
SCHRADERGROUP Recognized as an EPiC Firm by American Institute of Architects Pennsylvania Chapter
SCHRADERGROUP (SG) is proud to announce that the Pennsylvania Chapter of the American Institute of Architects (AIA) has recognized SG for our support and development of emerging professionals in 2022.
The AIA Pennsylvania Emerging Professionals Committee (EpiC) was established to improve the network, role, and impact of Emerging Professionals throughout the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The committee distinguished SG for successfully supporting the emerging professionals on our staff and for demonstrating a commitment to the development of Pennsylvania’s emerging professionals.
We would like to thank the PA AIA and we are honored to be included on this list of esteemed firms. You can view the full list here.
To learn more about SCHRADERGROUP, please click here.
SCHRADERGROUP Presents at the 2022 EDspaces Convention in Portland, Oregon
SCHRADERGROUP (SG) attended the EDspaces Education Conference from Wednesday, November 2nd to Friday, November 4th, 2022 at the Oregon Convention Center in Portland, OR. SG Managing Partner David Schrader and SG Associate Danie Hoffer represented SCHRADERGROUP at the conference.
EDspaces is a place where innovation transforms learning environments. Attendees learned about industry trends, fresh perspectives, and innovative case studies. Professionals from across the country attended to contribute to collective industry knowledge and to add their own voices to the conversation surrounding the future of learning.
EDspaces featured a curated, multi-track educational and professional development series of 60+ education sessions conducted in classrooms designed by visionary A+D firms that competed to share their innovative ideas for the future of learning.
David and Danie were joined by Upper Merion Area School District (UMASD) Superintendent Dr. John Toleno and Upper Merion Area High School (UMAHS) Principal Jonathan Bauer for a special “EDsession” focused on UMAHS. The session, titled, “Student-Focused Design to Inspire Personal Achievement – the Next Generation High School,” explored how technology, space, and pedagogy converge to impact student success. The session profiled how local businesses and industries inspired the design of the new High School in King of Prussia, a suburb of Philadelphia. The session included a discussion on the educational limitations of the existing traditional high school designed in the 1960s as compared to the design of the new high school. The new facility provides higher education level spaces to engage in interactive learning activities of “research, develop, and present!” Spaces integrated throughout offer opportunities in flexible spaces to complement how different students learn.
The presentation visually immersed participants in the design of the school with a fly-around of the building. Using 3-D modeling technology, this tool is used throughout the design process to engage the client and allow the end user to experience the space design from the very early design stages to the full design development including the interior finishes. Participants will experience the volume of the spaces and how students will move through the building.
In addition to the speaking opportunities, attendees were also invited to tour nearby next-generation learning facilities and to attend a symposium on educational disruption. Thank you to Discovery High School, James Faubion Elementary School, and Vancouver Innovation Technology & Arts Elementary School for letting us tour your wonderful schools!
SG was proud to attend this conference again and we are very excited to attend in Charlotte, NC in 2023!
To learn more about EDspaces, click here.
To learn more about SCHRADERGROUP’s commitment to creating 21st Century learning environments, click here.
SCHRADERGROUP Thanks Ed Kirkbride for Helping Shape SG Careers
SCHRADERGROUP (SG) would like to extend the sincerest “Thank You” to Edward E. Kirkbride, NCARB, REFP for the considerable impact he has had on multiple SG employees in their career.
Ed is an educational architectural consultant who had similar involvement in the Association for Learning Environments (A4LE), formerly the Council of Educational Facility Planners International (CEFPI). His work with the organization has brought cutting-edge educational facility concepts and programs to fellow professionals across the globe and he has been involved in the design and construction of a significant quantity of school facilities in his career.
“A very good friend and fellow architect, Ed Kirkbride, mentored both David and me in our careers as architects. I first interned with Ed when I was 18 years old while finishing my senior year in High School. Ed’s firm designed the addition to my High School – East Senior High School in West Chester. My mother very creatively set up a meeting for me to meet Ed since I had expressed an interest in architecture. I ended up working for him the summer following my senior year. I also worked for him a couple of other times while going to college and during my career. David and I started working together around 1992 for Ed while he managed the L. Robert Kimball Office in West Chester. We are both very grateful to have such a great friend and mentor in our lives!” said SG Project Manager Mark Hitchcock.
“My greatest business mentors have been friends who run other types of businesses. I enjoy seeing diverse business models and learning about their challenges and experiences. A mentor in the K-12 planning business, Ed Kirkbride, introduced me to the Association for Learning Environments and promoted me within that organization. I hope I left the organization just a little better off than when I joined it. Thank you, Ed Kirkbride,” said SG Managing Partner David Schrader.
Click here to learn more about SCHRADERGROUP’s work with K-12 school districts.
Click here to learn more about the Association for Learning Environments (A4LE).
SCHRADERGROUP Attends the 2022 IACP Annual Conference and Exposition!
The SCHRADERGROUP team attended and exhibited at the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Annual Conference and Exposition this year from October 15th to the 18th at the Kay Bailey Hutchison Convention Center in Dallas, Texas.
SG Principals Tom Forsberg and Harry Pettoni represented SCHRADERGROUP at the bustling conference. While there, the team attended educational sessions supporting the planning, design, and construction process of police facilities. Speakers presented information about the impact of technology on law enforcement agencies as wells as the future challenges police & law enforcement agencies may encounter. The SG team discovered new techniques of leveraging technology to enhance public safety in neighborhoods and schools.
The IACP is the world’s largest and most influential professional association for police leaders. With more than 32,000 members in over 170 countries, the IACP is a recognized leader in global policing, committed to advancing safer communities through thoughtful, progressive police leadership. Since 1893, the association has been serving communities worldwide by speaking out on behalf of law enforcement and advancing leadership and professionalism in policing worldwide.
The IACP Annual Conference is the largest and most important law enforcement event of the year, with more than 16,000 public safety professionals attending to learn new techniques, advance their knowledge and careers, and equip their department for ongoing success. The conference focuses on the three tenants of training, networking, and exposition hall education, with more than 175 workshops offered each year on a variety of topics important to the profession.
Learn more about SCHRADERGROUP’s public safety and mission critical facility work here.
Learn more about IACP Annual Conference here.
SCHRADERGROUP Managing Partner David Schrader Receives the A4LE Lifetime Achievement Award!
The SCHRADERGROUP (SG) team is proud to announce that the Association for Learning Environments (A4LE) has awarded the 2022 A4LE Lifetime Achievement Award to SG Managing Partner David Schrader!
The Lifetime Achievement Award is the most distinguished professional award bestowed to an A4LE member. This award is intended to honor an individual who has distinguished him or herself by making significant lasting contributions to the educational facility planning industry throughout their career.
David was nominated for the award by Larry Levato, immediate Past President of A4LE’s Northeast Region. His nomination was based on his extensive career of engaging clients and communities in the development of next generation learning spaces, for leading the Association for Learning Environments at each stage of his career, for inspiring a design team in the mid-Atlantic region to create academic environments that support future educational initiatives, and for involving students in the formation of their future learning environments.
David received this prestigious award at the 2022 LearningSCAPES Conference in San Antonio, Texas in October. Winners of this award receive a special insignia lapel pin and extensive news media coverage focused on the educational facility planning and construction industry.
To learn more about A4LE, please click here.
To learn more about SG, our team, and the work we do, please click here.
SCHRADERGROUP Attends North Penn School District Educational Foundation’s 21st Annual Golf Classic
SCHRADERGROUP (SG) attended the North Penn School District (NPSD) Educational Foundation’s 21st Annual Golf Classic hosted at the Talamore Country Club in Ambler, PA on Tuesday, October 11th. The outing helped raise charitable funds for the foundation while participants enjoyed a day on the course with lunch and beverages.
SG was happy to return and proud to be a sponsor for this great event that raises money to provide innovative classroom grants to enhance the educational experience for NPSD students.
The SG team was represented by Devin Bradbury and Eric Weiss. The team was honored to support an organization that’s committed to enriching the education and lives of more than 13,000 students in each of the North Penn School District’s eighteen schools.
As educational planners and architects, SG is committed to providing educational facilities that further enrich the learning experience. The success of these events and the continued work of the foundation provides the opportunity to introduce students to new curriculum and innovations in education that provide the buildings we with design an exciting purpose.
The SG team would like to thank the dedicated members of the NPSD Educational Foundation for organizing this wonderful event. As an example of this funding in action, the North Penn High School will be the first high school in North America that will provide students with a new spatial computing program that will give students a unique opportunity to learn how to design, develop, and publish Augmented Reality (AR) and Virtual Reality (VR) applications. To learn more about the North Penn School District Educational Foundation, click here.
To learn more about SCHRADERGROUP’s work with K-12 school districts, click here.
SCHRADERGROUP Participates in the GAF Marketing Summit Panel
SCHRADERGROUP’s (SG) Managing Partner David Schrader attended the GAF Marketing Summit at the Warwick Hotel in Philadelphia on September 14th, 2022. David participated in the “Transforming our Future” Panel Discussion, which was attended by over 120 attendees and considered a highlight of the conference.
This panel engaged GAF leadership in the discussion of what is happening in the building industry today, and what the industry is expecting for tomorrow. The panel was led by a dynamic moderator who engaged both the panel and audience.
To learn more about GAF, please click here.
To learn more about SCHRADERGROUP, please click here.
SCHRADERGROUP Welcomes 2023!
SCHRADERGROUP (SG) welcomes the new year by being grateful and thanking all of our clients, colleagues, community, friends, and family for their ongoing support. We would not be SCHRADERGROUP without all of you. In the spirit of welcoming the new year, we also would like to reflect on some of SG’s highlights in 2022.
- Franklin County, NC broke ground for its new Emergency 9-1-1 Communications Center (click to see the original post.) The new Emergency Communications Center will provide the County with the facility necessary to fulfill its Emergency Communications needs. The facility’s completion is anticipated for March 2023.
- Governor Mifflin School District (GMSD) broke ground for its new Athletic Community Center (click to see the original post.) SG is excited to start the construction of GMSD’s new Athletic Community Center which is slated to be completed in the summer of 2023. The Community Center will provide a central community anchor for the School District’s athletic programs and events while allowing the existing secondary schools more room for their current academic programs and students.
- Great Valley School District’s (GVSD) new 5/6 Center conducted its groundbreaking (click to see the original post.) SG was excited to celebrate the start of construction for GVSD’s newest educational facility which will accommodate 900 students in grades 5-6. The new 5/6 Center is anticipated to open in the fall of 2024.
- The Community College of Philadelphia (CCP) held its new Career and Advanced Technology Center’s ribbon cutting (click to see the original post.) What an impressive facility that will provide automotive technologies, healthcare technical training, and general technologies and building trade opportunities to boost the local community and workforce. You can read more about CCP’s new Career and Technology Center (click here.)
- North Penn School District’s (NPSD) Knapp Elementary school held its ribbon-cutting ceremony. This addition and renovations project transformed the 1950’s facility into a next-generation school. The central core of the school was reconfigured to pull the dining commons directly across from the main entrance lobby and the roof structure was raised to introduce natural light into the space through clerestory windows. The library/resource center was relocated adjacent to the dining commons with a folding partition that can open to a Large Group Instruction (LGI) area. Additions include a new classroom wing. Find out more about Knapp Elementary School (click here.)
- SG partnered with previous clients and consultants to bring a special panel to Pennsylvania’s Association of School Board Officials (PASBO) 67th Annual Conference (click to see the original post.) After the previous year’s virtual conference, the SG team was excited to exhibit and present in person at PASBO’s 67th Annual Conference. The SG team chaired a panel to speak on the topic of future school safety, security, HVAC, and virus mitigation.
- SG and Upper Merion Area School District’s (UMASD) Administration spoke about the new Upper Merion Area High School at the Association for Learning Environments (A4LE) Southeastern Region’s Annual Conference (click to see the original post.) SG’s Managing Partner, David Schrader, and UMASD’s Superintendent, Dr. John Toleno, engaged in a session that used the new Upper Merion Area High School as a case study for how; design supports 21st Century Learning, reflects current business models, and provides opportunities throughout secondary grades. The case study also compared traditional post-industrial educational environments to current designs of flexible learning spaces. Check out more about the new high school (click here.)
- SG, Lavallee Brensinger Architects (LBA), and the CCP spoke about the new Career and Advanced Technology Center at SCUP’s Annual Mid-Atlantic Conference (click to see the original post.) SG, LBA, and CCP used the new Career and Advanced Technology Center in West Philadelphia as a case study to provide insight into why and how the investment and design of technical trade schools can transform the local community and environment.
- SG attended the A4LE Northeast Region’s Annual Conference and engaged in a speaking session focused on the School District of Springfield Township’s (SDST) new Enfield Elementary School (click to see the original post.) The session highlighted SDST and the local community in their collaboration to envision a school that is designed to be a community anchor and to promote critical thinking in grades K-2. Find out more about Enfield Elementary School (click here.)
- SG sponsored and attended North Carolina Sheriff’s Association’s (NCSA) Spring Conference (click to see the original post.) SG Principal Harry Pettoni attended and exhibited at NCSA’s Spring Conference in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. The Conference brought many state Sheriffs and law enforcement agencies together to help provide them with new information and better services for their departments.
- SG attended the North Carolina Public Safety Communications Conference in Wilmington, North Carolina (click to see the original post.) The event was hosted by the North Carolina Association of Public Safety Communications Officials (NC APCO) and the North Carolina National Emergency Number Association (NC NENA.) SG attended to provide an exhibition of our expertise in Public Safety programming, planning, and design.
- SG attended the Pennsylvania Association of Rural and Small Schools (PARRS) Conference in Boalsburg, Pennsylvania (click to see the original post.) SG Associate Devin Bradbury and Project Manager Eric Weiss represented the firm at the Conference which included different opportunities to engage in as well as meeting some familiar and new faces. We look forward to attending more PARRS events in the future.
- SG attended Maryland’s 68th Annual ASBO Spring Conference in Ocean City, Maryland (click to see the original post.) SG Principals Bruce Bachtle, Tom Forsberg, and Harry Pettoni were at the annual conference to exhibit SG’s services and designs.
- SG attended the 2022 PASBO Facilities, Transportation, and Safety Conference in Lancaster. SG was represented at this annual conference by SG team members Danielle Hoffer, Charlotte Stoudt, and Tom Forsberg.
- SG attended the 2022 PASA/PSBA School Leadership Conference in the Poconos. SG was excited to return to this annual conference that included more than 40 educational sessions and learning labs on relevant public-school topics.
- SG attended A4LE LearningSCAPES in San Antonio, Texas (click to see the original post.) It was an exciting event with SG Managing Partner, David Schrader, receiving the A4LE Lifetime Achievement award.
- SG attended the International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP) Annual Conference and Exposition in Dallas, Texas. SG Principals Tom Forsberg and Harry Pettoni represented SG at this bustling conference committed to advancing safer communities through thoughtful, progressive police leadership.
- SG attended the 36th Annual Delaware Valley Association of School Board Officials (DVASBO) Trade Show in Oaks, PA. Managing Partner David Schrader was joined by Principal Harry Pettoni and Associate Danielle Hoffer at the event that assists in DVASBO’s mission of developing and supporting leaders in school business operations for the counties of Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery.
- SG attended the 2022 EDspaces Convention in Portland, Oregon. In addition to attending the convention that explored how innovation transforms learning spaces, the SG team, with UMASD Administration presented a session on “Student-Focused Design to Inspire Personal Achievement” by using the new Upper Merion Area High School as a case study.
- Hatboro-Horsham School District’s (HHSD) new Crooked Billet Elementary School was recognized as an Outstanding Project in Learning by Design’s Spring issue (click to see the original post.) SG is excited to have worked with HHSD on the design of a wonderful learning facility. The new school promotes its community’s and young students’ needs while highlighting the historical heritage of Crooked Billet designed within the center of the school. Learn more about the project (click here.)
- UMASD’s new Upper Merion Area High School received an Outstanding Project award in Learning by Design’s Fall issue (click to see the original post.) The new High School’s design was the result of UMASD’s vision, its community’s collaboration, and SG’s commitment to academic design—a recognition that was appropriately deserved.
- UMASD’s new Upper Merion Area High School also received an Outstanding Project award in American School & University’s Fall 2022 Architectural Portfolio issue. The new facility provides career and higher education level spaces for the students of UMASD to engage in the next-generation learning activities of “research, develop, and present!”
- SG’s ongoing Regional Traffic Management Center (RTMC) project for PennDOT District 6.0 received a transportation industry award during the March of Dimes annual Transportation Luncheon. The RTMC received the “Alternative Delivery Project of the Year” award with Project Manager Courtney Anspach in attendance.
- SCHRADERGROUP Managing Partner David Schrader was awarded the Association for Learning Environments’ (A4LE) Lifetime Achievement Award this year. This award is the most distinguished professional award bestowed to an A4LE member and honors an individual who has distinguished him or herself by making significant lasting contributions to the educational facility planning industry throughout their career. Congratulations David!
- SCHRADERGROUP was selected by the Pennsylvania American Institute of Architects (PA AIA) to receive the 2022 AIA Pennsylvania EPiC Firm Recognition. SG received this recognition for demonstrating a commitment to the development of Pennsylvania’s emerging professionals.
- SG Principal Harry Pettoni was named President of A4LE’s Chesapeake Bay/Delaware Valley Chapter in 2022 (click to see the original post.) As Chapter President, Harry will serve a three-year term to lead the Chapter in its endeavors to create Next Generation Learning Environments.
- Tyler Corbley registered as a new Architect in the state of Pennsylvania (click to see the original post.) SG celebrated Tyler’s accomplishments and growth since his summer internship at SG and now his registration as a Pennsylvanian Architect. We look forward to his continuing future contributions to SG and architecture.
- SG welcomed a new Project Architect, Trevor Mitchell (click to see the original post.) Trevor is Jefferson University graduate with over six years of experience in architecture. He has been contributing support and design detail to SG and its client’s projects. Welcome Trevor to the SG family!
- SG welcomed a new Interior Designer and Project Manager, Derek Perini (click to see the original post.) Derek brings over 24 years of interior design experience in senior living, multifamily residences, hospitality, and higher education design. We are excited to have Derek contribute and expand our interior design studio and market.
- Former Intern Dan Pawluczyk returned to SG as a full-time Architectural Designer (click to see the original post.) Dan was a recent Pennsylvania State University graduate and worked a summer internship at SG in 2021. He returned to continue his commitment to architecture, SCHRADERGROUP, and our projects and clients.
- Bruce Bachtle, SG Partner, announced his retirement in 2022 (click to see the original post.) Bruce has dedicated much to SG and its team since 2005—a mentor and friend to many including clients, industry partners, communities, and families. We all thank you, Bruce!
- SG attended Pennsylvania State University’s (PSU) Annual Stuckeman School Career Day (click to see the original post.) SG team members and PSU Alumni David Schrader, Paige Faria, and Jillian Kreglow attended PSU’s annual Career Day and met with many bright aspiring architecture students.
- SG sponsored and attended the 22nd Annual Montgomery County Intermediate Unit Education Foundation’s (MCIUEF) Golf Outing (click to see the original post.) As a proud sponsor, SG attended this event that raised funds to enhance and support educational opportunities for students in the County. We look forward to next year!
- SG sponsored and attended the Great Valley School District Educational Foundation’s Harlem Wizard Event. SG was proud to be a “Slam Dunk” sponsor at this fun event that raised funds for the schools in the district.
- SG sponsored and attended CCP’s Annual Black and Gold Gala (click to see the original post.) CCP’s Black and Gold Gala is a premier charity event that celebrates and recognizes outstanding individuals and services that encourages community growth. SG is proud to have sponsored and been a part of CCP’s mission to build a better and brighter future for Philadelphia.
- SG Principals and Associates, Bruce Bachtle, Tom Forsberg, Dan D’Amico, and Devin Bradbury attended the Delaware Valley Association of School Business Officials’ (DVASBO) 32nd Annual Golf Outing (click to see the original post.) SG is proud to have attended and helped raise money for scholarships for students in the Delaware Valley area.
- SG sponsored and attended Council Rock Education Foundation’s 3rd Annual Golf Classic outing (click to see the original post.) Project Architects Eric Weiss, Mark Adamiak, and Chris Farmer represented SG and our sponsorship to Council Rock Education Foundation. As always, we look forward to next year’s golf outing.
- SG Managing Partner David Schrader attended and spoke at the GAF Marketing Summit in Philadelphia, PA. David participated in the “Transforming our Future” Panel Discussion which was regarded as a highlight of the summit.
- SG sponsored and attended the North Penn Education Foundation’s 21st Annual Golf Classic. SCHRADERGROUP team members Devin Bradbury and Eric Weiss represented SG and our sponsorship to the Foundation. The outing helped raise charitable funds for the foundation while participants enjoyed a day on the course.
WRAPPING UP 2022 + WELCOMING 2023!
These notes represent only a few of the highlights for SCHRADERGROUP in 2022. Many more are not covered herein. Some of those successes included; the progress of both current and new projects throughout the year, SG’s personal family growth and accomplishments, community involvement, and much more.
Again, SCHRADERGROUP gives thanks for all of the support and the opportunities that were provided to us this past year from all of you—our clients, industry partners, consultants, friends, and family. We look forward to contributing more to all of your communities and ours in the next year.
Happy New Year,
From all of us at SCHRADERGROUP.